Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sci-Fi Expo


Hello all Fellow Geeks!

As all of you know this past weekend I went to Dallas Comic-Con “Sci-Fi Expo” I had so much fun, I am not even sure where to start! So I just start from the beginning! Saturday about 7am I woke up   took a shower then got into my Transporter accident. Seen here Two of my friend showed up at the house and we got a photo taken and head out to the Con!
We arrived and went in to get our tickets which surprisingly went very smooth since they change the way you get your badges.  You know have a bar-code you use to get your wristband. Once we got our wrist band we were usher back outside in the cold, in the parking garage where the line is to get in. My group didn’t want to wait out in the cold as three of the four people where in cosplays that either had short sleeves or a skirt that went along it. So we waited in the car for about hour and half until we decide to head down.
Finally we enter the convention and I always feel like I am under arrest, because they keep asking you to see your wrist band so we usually end up putting both hands up in the air, like we are under arrest.  We first went into the vendor Hall. Where we usually tend to do one round before we buy anything unless if something you think will be gone later today. My friend and I actually found some Star Trek snow globes for $5!!!  We continue to keep walking the vendor’s hall looking all the interesting stuff that out there, I had many people asking me to stop so they can read my sign and chuckle and tell me that am very clever and take a picture of it.
Around 1pm we went over to this new thing they decided to do, it was call Cosplay Red Carpet. Two of my friends walk it and I decided to take photos of all the wonderful cosplayers. I saw some amazing costumes, everything from steampunk to Doctor Who to super heroes.  After the Red Carpet event we decide to get in line for food, I believe that was the longest line I had waited in, like always. (I really need to start packing myself a lunch)
 Anyways, after lunch we went to the Piranha Toys for the Star Trek Photo shoot, we took lots and lots of photos. Then they had a costume contest at their booth in which, I one second place for my stuck in the transport Costume. After that we walk around the vendors’ hall a bit, and talk with my Sci-Fi club I belong to for a bit.  Soon, it was time for us to head up to the fourth floor to listen to the Back to the Future Panel. I didn’t realize until I saw Lea Thompson that she plays Bay’s mom on Switch at Birth!  One thing I  thought was cute was a little girl came up to the Microphone and goes “ Dr. Lloyd, I really like you show, so much I did my science fair Project on  Time Travel and  won first Place” The whole room did the aww and clapped their hands. Then she goes “Does flux capacitor uses the wormhole theory?” Mr. Lloyd paused and said are you busy tonight we need to have dinner.
  After that panel we stayed because the next one was The Walking Dead panel. That was really neat, I got to actually hear Michonne (Danai Gurira) talk, I mean she doesn’t really chat on the show. It was Danai and Emma ( Amy from season 1)  talking, Sadly Laurie ( Andera) couldn’t make it until Sunday afternoon, well they talk about how  in the beginning the Zombies  ate separately  from  the ‘normal’s’ because it was gross  trying to chat with something when things are goosing or falling off while  they eat. After The Walking Dead panel it was close to the end of day one. I think we went back down stairs and wonder the vendors’ hall a bit and then head out the doors to go home! 
Day two, we arrived a little later than expected but we put on our final touches to our Cosplay, and  head down to the first floor and got in line in the garage, shortly it was time to enter. We went straight up to the fourth floor to get a decent spot for Avery Brooks Panel. While my friend held my sport I went down stairs to my local sci-fi club to see if I can get someone to take photo of the Cosplay red carpet since I’ll still be in the Avery Brook Panel. So, I finally got someone to help me and then I ran backup stairs as it was getting close to Avery Brooks to come onto stage. Boy isn’t he ‘High’ on life. He was so sweet, he ask while most of the audience was sitting in the back, I yelled “Because are too poor for VIP” some people around me chuckle and he us told to come closer. We all stood up and move to VIP section, which was pretty awesome! Avery Brooks had the little kids come up the stage and sit in the host spot and have them ask their questions. That was so sweet of him too. After his Q and A I had to run down to the red Carpet Cosplay walk, and they started early! Luckily I made it just in time! I walk the red carpet and such got a time doing it.
 Anyways, after that I believe we had some lunch and decide to just wonder the Vendors hall, I got my photo taken many time as always.  Talk with some great people and really enjoy just relaxing to finish up the con. We did run into some con friend while were there and chatted with them for a bit.
In all, it was great smaller con. I always have fun and enjoy going to these things! My next Con will be a very small convention down in College Station called “Aggie Con” am super excited as I will get to see one of friend who down there for Veterinary School.  Of course I will write another blog spot about that experience!
Until then,
Stay Geeky.


0 comments:

Post a Comment